Draft Implementation Plan
The Implementation Plan focuses on short-term, tangible actions that ABAG, MTC and their partners can take to realize the Vision of Plan Bay Area 2050.
MTC and ABAG are developing a short-term Implementation Plan to guide how the Bay Area can take near-term actions to implement the strategies adopted in Plan Bay Area 2050 over the next five years. The Implementation Plan will outline tangible actions across the four core elements of Plan Bay Area 2050 — economy, environment, housing and transportation — that MTC, ABAG and their partners can advance to make the Bay Area more equitable and resilient in the future.
The Implementation Plan process will focus on collaboration and engagement with Bay Area residents, local governments, civic organizations, non-profits, and other stakeholders to identify actions and tackle shared challenges facing the region through 2025 and beyond.
The Implementation Plan for Plan Bay Area 2050, which is an expanded version of the Action Plan pioneered in Plan Bay Area 2040, will not rest on ABAG’s and MTC’s shoulders alone, as many of the steps that will need to be taken will be outside the realm of the two agencies’ responsibilities. The Implementation Plan will require a shared commitment and strong collaboration among regional policymakers, local governments, partner agencies and civic organizations.
The Draft Implementation Plan is included as a chapter of the Draft Plan Bay Area 2050 document.
Implementation Plan Partnership Phase
The Draft Implementation Plan is primarily focused on actions that MTC and ABAG can execute over the next five years in order to establish a clear baseline for action. To spark a robust conversation on potential partnerships, the Draft Implementation Plan also highlights strategic opportunities and high-priority focus areas for select strategic partners.
The purpose of the Partnership Phase of the Implementation Plan is to expand the focus beyond MTC and ABAG to further develop the partnerships and commitments required to move each strategy forward.
The Partnership Phase is scheduled for summer 2021 and will include:
- small group meetings and focused discussions,
- continued partner engagement (including webinars and targeted outreach), and
- the official Draft Plan Bay Area 2050 outreach and comment period.
Additional details on the Partnership Phase, including how and when to participate in this final phase of the Implementation Plan, are available in this memo. The Final Implementation Plan, to be released in fall 2021 as part of the Final Plan Bay Area 2050, will incorporate key findings from the Partnership Phase and will also include timelines for proposed implementation actions.
Chirag Rabari, Regional Planning Program, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Implementation Plan is being developed in five phases.
Phase 1: Analysis
- Strategy assessment and brainstorming
- Mapping complementary efforts, initiatives and partners
Phase 2: Engagement
November 2020-January 2021
- Seek feedback from MTC and ABAG committees on Implementation Plan scope
- Host two stakeholder workshops to develop initial implementation actions
- Hold office hours and small group meetings for focused discussions
- Initial public and community-based organization outreach on Implementation Plan
Phase 3: Draft Implementation Plan
- Update MTC and ABAG committees on progress to date
- Identify key strategic opportunities and barriers for successful implementation
- Evaluate resources and priorities
- Develop Draft Implementation Plan
Phase 4: Partnership
- Continue public outreach and engagement as part of the Draft Plan Bay Area 2050 release
- Convene partners and stakeholders to discuss partnership opportunities and potential commitments
- Identify timelines for draft implementation actions
Phase 5: Final Implementation Plan
- Develop Final Implementation Plan
- Adopt Final Implementation Plan as part of Final Plan Bay Area 2050